Position title: LTER Postdoctoral Scholar
Percent time: 100%
Anticipated start: Autumn 2021
Position duration: 1 year
Open date: August 30th, 2021
Next review date: Friday, Oct 1, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time). Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Friday, Dec 31, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Network Office of the Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) Network invites applicants for a 100% time Postdoctoral Fellow position to participate in synthesis research and working group collaboration. The position will be based at University of California, Santa Barbara’s National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) in Santa Barbara, CA. The LTER Program was established by the National Science Foundation in 1980 to study ecological processes operating on decadal-to-century time scales. The program now includes a network of 28 diverse sites across the U.S. and engages thousands of researchers and students. The mission of the LTER Network Office (LNO) is to catalyze and coordinate research, education, and outreach activities across the LTER Network.
The LTER Network Office supports multiple simultaneous synthesis working groups that develop generalizable insights and propose new theory drawing on decades of data in LTER’s five core focus areas: primary productivity, populations, organic matter, water and nutrients, disturbance. Many sites have also incorporated deep expertise in human-environment interactions. For more information about the LTER Network, visit: https://lternet.edu/.
The Fellowship provides opportunities to engage in new and ongoing synthesis projects and to contribute to and learn from a vibrant community of postdoctoral researchers, visiting scholars, and staff scientists at NCEAS. NCEAS is a leader in open science practice and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop additional skills and contribute in this area. The selected candidate will engage deeply with 1-2 synthesis working groups, depending on their interests and the needs of the working group. In addition to organized working groups, the postdoc may take on an independent synthesis project that will benefit the Network as a whole. The required statement of research interests should briefly describe candidates’ interest and alignment with specific working groups as well as ideas for broader projects.
- Compile, integrate and analyze diverse data sets and develop derived data products and visualizations to advance the objectives of the working groups (https://lternet.edu/current-working-groups/).
- Contribute substantively to working group discussions and publications, including leading sub-project(s) within the overall synthesis effort
The department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application):
- At the time of application, applicants must have completed all requirements except the dissertation for a PhD (or equivalent) in ecology, geography, geosciences, environment-related social or computational sciences or related field.
Additional qualifications (required at time of start):
- A PhD (or equivalent) in ecology, geography, geosciences, environment-related social or computational sciences or related field.
- Demonstrated quantitative and analytical skills and experience working with diverse data sets. Describe analyses conducted for PhD or other experience in cover letter or attached publication.
- Minimum 6 months experience in scripting languages. R and/or Python preferred.
- A track record of publications (3) appropriate to the career stage. If PhD publications have not yet been accepted for publication, please attach at least one manuscript.
- Written communication skills, as demonstrated by clear and fluent cover letter and publications
- Verbal communication skills, demonstrated through talks, references, interview.
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V. Include publications in review and in preparation.
- Cover Letter – Cover Letter, including:
- Interest in the position
- Qualifications related to position
- Experience in supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Statement of Research – 1-page statement of research interests, indicating interest in existing synthesis groups and outlining any ideas for an independent project
- Publications and/or Manuscript – A track record of publications (3) appropriate to the career stage. If PhD publications have not yet been accepted for publication, please attach at least one manuscript. (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)
Apply link: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/JPF02029
Help contact: email@example.com
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Santa Barbara, CA
Postdoctoral Fellow, pay depending on experience according to this scale: Postdoctoral Fellow Pay Scale