Travel fellowships are available for 20 undergraduate students to attend the LTER All Scientists Meeting (ASM) in Pacific Grove, California, September 19-23, 2022. All meeting expenses, including lodging, meals, registration, and travel are covered by the fellowship.
The meeting takes place at a self-contained conference center within a beautiful seaside state park. Rooms are shared (generally with one other student) and all meals will be provided on site. Students receiving fellowships must commit to attending the full meeting.
Who is eligible?
Current undergraduate students who conducted summer research at an LTER site in 2021 or 2022.
Selected students will:
- Have their meeting expenses (travel, registration, meals, lodging, poster printing) covered
- Meet in small groups with faculty & graduate student mentors throughout the meeting
- Present a research poster
- Build their own meeting schedule of interactive sessions in ecology (biology, biogeochemistry, informatics, remote sensing, and more), plus public engagement, social justice, and STEM education.
The LTER Network is made up of 28 major ecological research sites, including deserts, prairie, arctic/polar ecosystems, cities, offshore & ocean environments, forests, farms, river and lake environments, coastal wetlands, coral reefs, and alpine ecosystems.
The LTER All Scientists Meeting, held only every three years, is an excellent opportunity to network with STEM professionals who have devoted their lives to these ecosystems, including fellow students, scientists, educators, policy experts, and other leaders.
Application deadline: July 24, 2022, 5 pm PST
Applications should include:
- a brief (up to 500 words) statement of interest, including;
- a summary of your research experience at an LTER site
- how attending the ASM will further your personal, academic, and professional goals
- a resume, or summary of your work and volunteering experience
- name and contact information for your LTER mentor. (Note: mentors will automatically be sent a brief recommendation form when your application is submitted. Mentor recs will be due July 31.)
To learn more,
Register for Webinars:
July 12: Intro to the LTER Network
August 9: Communicating Your Science