FUERTE, a new NSF-funded program, is hiring an Academic Coordinator. Come work with this dynamic new program designed to provide field-work oriented research experiences and mentoring for undergraduates that are under-represented in STEM, especially conservation and environmental science.
The successful candidate will have management experience, experiences working with a diverse set of colleagues, experience with DEI practices and policy, especially in an academic setting. The AC’s main duties will focus on (1) organizational support for the FUERTE PIs, FUERTE Fellows and their mentor teams, (2) management of various FUERTE activities, and (3) administrative support of the program. Since FUERTE primarily serves to provide experiences for undergraduates, the AC will also be involved in coordinating and developing activities for the undergraduate FUERTE Fellows on campus, and in communicating with the UCSB campus community and associated FUERTE partners.
- Coordinate meetings with the FUERTE team and act as a connector to campus activities at other centers (e.g., the Transfer Student Center and ONDAS Student Center)
- Coordinate travel logistics for the FUERTE fellows
- Assist the FUERTE PIs in advertising and recruiting for each FUERTE cohort
- Assist with field trip logistics, including attending a 2-week field trip to the Sierra Nevada Aquatic
Research Lab (SNARL) and 2-3 days trips to local marine field sites
- Manage and contribute to FUERTE social media communication, and assist PIs with the management of the FUERTE webpage
- Plan and assist with coordination of FUERTE courses, workshops, events, and invited speakers
- Assist in identifying, arranging, and supporting mentorship partnerships
- Manage FUERTE purchasing in support of undergraduate research projects
- Assist the PIs with communication with partner organizations (e.g., NGOs and state and federal agencies)
- Engage in outreach to and serve as a point of contact for families of FUERTE students, including preparing bilingual print information and organizing and hosting a bilingual family reception
- Organize communication with the FUERTE external evaluators
- Create and present budget reports to the FUERTE Director
- Assist the PI in developing annual reports
Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in relevant field (e.g., environmental sciences, conservation biology, marine science, ecology, biology or related field) or equivalent research experience (2 years with a relevant associates degree plus 2 years’ relevant experience) at the time of application.
Apply by August 12, 2021 for full consideration. https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/JPF02015
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service as appropriate to the position.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.