The Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook NY is still accepting applications for the summer 2021 REU program in Translational Ecology.
For program information and to apply: www.caryinstitute.org/
Application deadline: January 29, 2021 Midnight EST
Dates: June 7 to August 13, 2021 (10 weeks)
Eligibility: Undergraduate freshmen, sophomores, juniors or first semester seniors. Must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or its possessions. The Cary REU program welcomes participants of all races, religions, sexual orientation, age and ability status. Students from groups traditionally underrepresented in ecology and first generation college students are particularly encouraged to apply.
Stipend: $5,500 participation stipend, plus $1800 room and board stipend and all travel expenses covered
Pairs of students will join teams of 2 or more mentors to conduct individual research projects of their own design in collaboration with their research team. Research project areas for the summer of 2021 include:
· How ecosystems influence arthropod vector populations and potential disease transmission risk
· Understanding the intersection of global change, conservation, and disease risk
· Projecting future tree lines in Alaska
· Environmental history of an urban-suburban watershed in Dutchess County, NY
· Are symbiotic nitrogen-fixing trees in the Anthropocene shifting functions?
· Vertical dimension of microbial community assembly and function in forests
· Examining the effects of global change on streams of the Northeastern US
· Urban forest ecology in New York City
Feel free to contact Alan Berkowitz for more information about the program at email@example.com.