Opportunity Type:

Juniata College seeks an energetic and entrepreneurial leader to serve as director of the 365-acre
Raystown Field Station near Juniata’s campus in Huntingdon, PA. The director, who will report
directly to the Provost and will be part of the academic affairs leadership team, will have the
opportunity to imagine new programs and opportunities building on the foundation provided by
the 15-week undergraduate residential semesters with rotating themes focused on Wildlife
Management, Forest Conservation, Aquatic Ecology and Environmental Restoration. This is a
12-month administrative position.

The successful director will also hold a faculty appointment in the Department of Environmental
Science and Studies in an area of study relevant to the teaching and research conducted at the
field station. The Director will report to the ESS chair in matters of curriculum. Areas of focus
include training in the fields of natural resources such as Environmental Science, Wildlife
Management, and Conservation.

The station is Located on the 29,000-acre U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Raystown Lake project
an provides access to the 8,600-acre Raystown Lake as well as a variety of other aquatic systems
and extensive upland Oak-Hickory forests. The station also supports many faculty research
programs as well as public outreach. Opportunities to expand programming beyond the
academic year and undergraduate audience abound and will be expected of the new director.
Search for a new director

The successful candidate will be a strategic leader who works collaboratively with the ESS
department and with the rest of campus to expand station programming and opportunities while
serving current users. The candidate will have an interdisciplinary mindset and will have a
commitment to sustainability efforts. Grant seeking is expected in ways that will promote
creative activities at the field station and will support faculty and students in basic and applied
research. The development of strategic partnerships on and off campus is key to the role; the
successful candidate will also enjoy program and event planning. We seek candidates who will
complement our current strengths and who are eager to explore the possibilities for collaboration
across academic programs.


  •  Ph.D. required; faculty rank depending on the academic background
  • Experience in obtaining grant support from public and private sources
  • Record of excellence in program planning
  • Experience in administrative leadership of a field station or similar entity
  • Interest and expertise in sustainability programming
  • Expertise in an academic area applicable to the field stations
  • Record of teaching and scholarship, and interest in continuing to teach undergraduates
  • Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to supervise, mentor, and
    motivate staff and faculty at off-campus locations


Primary Role – Leads and manages the development and operations of the field station facilities
including the delivery of academic, research, and co-curricular programming.

Typical Duties and Responsibilities:

• Articulates vision for the field station and designs programs to advance that vision
• Plans for and ensures effective delivery of programs of the station, consistent with
agreed upon short and long-term goals.
• Markets station programs and offerings to relevant constituencies including but not
limited to prospective students, community organizations, K-12 schools, etc.
• Represents the Station for the College in dealings with external organizations.
• Identifies and pursues funding sources, including grant applications.
• Coordinates with the Residential Life office to supervise the Field Station Residential
Director and provides training and guidance for residence life programs at the station.
• Coordinates with the Facilities Services office to supervise the Field Station Facilities
Supervisor to coordinate facilities with programming needs.
• Coordinates with campus offices to facilitate facility use and policy compliance
including, Food service, Conference and Events and Campus Safety.
• Develops and maintains operating budgets.

Note – this position description represents 75% administrative time. The remaining 25% is a
faculty appointment with additional faculty duties and responsibilities not described above. The
Director would be expected to teach at least one course each semester on the main campus.

To see the original posting or to apply, visit: