Under general direction of the Principal Investigator, coordinates information and data flows for the Florida Coastal Everglades (FCE) Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) and the Periphyton Laboratory. Serves as the information manager contact between the FCE LTER and the LTER network and provides information to the public.
- Interprets and implements safety guidelines and compliance with FIU rules and regulations
when completing field work (boating safety) and laboratory work (EH&S protocols).
- Designs and implements database schemas, workflows, and entry forms for new projects in the Periphyton Analysis Laboratory based on existing database structures.
- Oversees existing database for the Periphyton Analysis Laboratory
- Oversees data entry and data QA/QC workflows for ongoing projects, including import of project data from collaborators into Periphyton Analysis Laboratory database and maintaining lab Github page Assists with field work as needed.
- Facilitates data provision for members of the Periphyton Analysis Laboratory.
- Trains Periphyton Analysis laboratory personnel on database use, information flows, and data
management including R, SQL, and Git/Github.
- Contributes to reports and publications of the Periphyton Analysis Laboratory by providing data
and data products
- Assists in the implementation of FCE LTER data management policy and procedures and
recommend changes to processes as necessary
- Works closely with leadership in long-range data planning and management.
- Requests and responds to data updates by FCE collaborators; meets with researchers as
- Oversees data management components of FCE website.
- Provides information management literacy training to FCE collaborators.
- Manages FCE LTER data dictionary to ensure uniformity.
- Develops information management sections for FCE LTER reports and proposals.
- Participates in LTER Network Information Management and All Scientists Meetings.
- Serves as information management liaison with outside agencies and the public.
- Coordinates network and system administration for information management workstations and
servers, including but not limited to backup strategies and disaster plans.
- Participates in professional development related to job.
Bachelor’s degree in related field and two (2) years of related experience, or a Master’s degree.
- Knowledge of Geographical Information Systems.
- Experience working on collaborative, multidisciplinary teams.
- Knowledge of ecological and biological data types and collection protocols.
- Knowledge of SQL, Ecological Metadata Language, and Extensible Markup Language Knowledge of R and other data processing tools
- Knowledge of computer systems and network administration.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of information management system design
- Ability to communicate program and technical information effectively and in writing to users and information technology personnel.
Job Category: Administrative
Advertised Salary : $55,000 – $60,000
- Begin time: 8:30 AM
- End time: 5:00 PM
- Criminal Background Check
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- This is a Time-Limited appointment which may be terminated at any time with 30 days’ notice
For further information or to apply, please visit careers.fiu.edu and reference Job Opening ID # 527484
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of a other employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.