The Network Office of the Long Term Ecological Research Network (LNO) seeks a digital communications coordinator to support all aspects of communication within the Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) program, including content development and updates, as well as digital strategy for website, newsletters, community platform, and social media.
The National Science Foundation’s LTER Program was established in 1980 to study ecological processes operating on decadal-to-century time scales. The program includes a network of 28 diverse sites across the U.S. and engages thousands of researchers and students. The mission of the LTER Network Office (LNO) is to catalyze and coordinate research, education, and outreach activities across the LTER Network.
The Digital Communications Coordinator maintains fluid communication within the LTER Network and raises awareness of the mission and accomplishments of the Network in the scientific community. They identify story ideas based on publications and conversations with researchers at LTER sites and produce a variety of written, graphical, and digital materials to make LTER Network science accessible and relevant for scientific partners, stakeholders, and policymakers. A recently-launched community platform (LTERHub) provides an online gathering space for LTER participants and the communications officer also contributes to community stewardship on the LTERHub.
A small group of talented science writing fellows from across the LTER Network contribute stories to the LTER website and the Communications Coordinator participates in mentoring these fellows and editing their work.
In-person and online events are an integral part of LNO activities. As part of a small core team, the LTER Communications Coordinator assists with program, promotion, and logistics for LTER events, as do all LNO staff. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Develop familiarity with LTER sites, personnel and activities to identify and source important and relevant stories.
- Write and edit stories in a style that is lively, accessible, and scientifically accurate
- Find or develop accompanying graphics and visuals
- Update website, community platform, and social media channels
- Develop social media campaigns in cooperation with LTER graduate students, staff and investigators.
- Support meeting logistics
Salary and Benefits
Academic Coordinator Position, with salary step commensurate with qualifications. Full benefits package included.
Expected Start Date: Summer 2021
The department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
At the time of application, applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in a field related to environmental science or science communication OR Two years of professional environmental research experience. Applicants must also have at least six months of professional writing experience.
Any of these qualifications will improve a candidate’s standing, but there is no expectation that a single individual will have all of them. NCEAS is a learning organization and we expect that employees acquire many needed skills on the job.
- Ability to read scientific papers and recognize their significance
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience managing social media accounts, developing social media campaigns, and tracking analytics
- Experience with mentoring, teaching, or editing others’ writing and providing constructive feedback
- Experience managing digital communities
- Data visualization skills
- Video editing and production experience
- Document requirements
Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter – Cover letter describing the candidate’s interest and qualifications for the position. Please address your experience in the diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts.
- Writing Sample – Writing sample (< 1000 words). Please include a sample of an article, web post, or brochure copy the candidate has written on a scientific subject for a non-scientific audience. Please indicate whether (and to what extent) it has been edited by others. If additional writing or graphic products are available by web link, please include.
Open date: May 7th, 2021
Next review date: Friday, Jun 4, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Friday, Aug 6, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
3 required (contact information only)
Please provide the names and complete contact information for 3 references. The department will conduct a reference check for the finalist before extending an offer
Apply link: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/JPF01987
Help contact: email@example.com
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Santa Barbara, CA