The Virginia Coast Reserve LTER is seeking a Research Support Specialist (Lab and Research Technician 2) to support research operations at the University of Virginia’s Coastal Research Center located on Virginia’s Eastern Shore. The Research Support Specialist will join the LTER staff to provide boating, field, and other logistical support for long-term ecological project operations and related research initiatives.
The Research Support Specialist coordinates daily with a small, dynamic team of station staff and a large, varied community of researchers. Duties include boating researchers throughout seaside waterways to access research sites, assisting as needed in field work, and helping staff coordinate boating and field safety at the station. The Specialist also helps maintain our long-term ecological studies by assisting with sampling programs related to water quality, coastal habitat, and meteorological data. Both field and laboratory duties will be required. The Specialist position is based on site at the Coastal Research Center (Oyster, VA).
- The preferred candidate is expected to
have experience working around water and boats (in a coastal setting)
- demonstrate the ability to safely navigate shallow coastal waterways in small craft, such as skiffs, using basic boat trailering, handling, and troubleshooting and using operational knowledge of tidal systems, navigation charts, and tide tables
- be willing to evaluate scenarios and make safety and operations calls (using established policies, real time information like weather, and common sense) and support others to do the same
- exhibit resilience and adaptability to variable situations, including weather and scheduling challenges
- demonstrate the ability to use clear communication to coordinate across teams
- have or be willing to obtain fundamental computing skills, including email and Microsoft Office programs
- understand or be willing to learn how to follow scientific protocols and best practices for responsible handling of samples and data
- demonstrate the ability to work effectively with and support diverse local and scientific communities.
The VCR-LTER and UVA CRC are committed to recruiting, hiring, and supporting a diverse staff and research community. We actively work to provide an inclusive environment that fosters varied perspectives, makes field research welcoming to all, and enhances the quality of our research program.
The position requires a valid driver’s license and a boating safety card (NASBLA certification or similar).
Salary: Base starts at $36,000 and is negotiable, commensurate with experience.
To apply, visit the position page: https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UVAJobs/job/OYSTER—EASTERN-VA–NO/ENVS—-LTER-Research-Support-Specialist_R0032850. Electronically attach the following: a cover letter, a curriculum vitae / resume, and contact information for three (3) references. Be sure to address any pertinent experience, including professional and personal experience, that is relevant to this position.
Or visit https://jobs.virginia.edu (choose External or Internal applicant under Search & Apply) and search posting number R0032850 [ENVS – LTER Research Support Specialist]).
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to making a final offer of employment. The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Timeline: Recruiting begins in February. Review applications in March. Target start date in April, though negotiable.
More about the station is available at https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/.