The Smithsonian Marine Global Earth Observatory (MarineGEO) seeks a talented, motivated, and collaborative person to help implement and expand a network-wide data/information system to support its scientific mission of conducting coordinated, global research on marine biodiversity and ecosystems. This position serves as the data and information technology coordinator, a key role for the MarineGEO network of partners dispersed nationally and internationally. The coordinator serves a central function of facilitating research and data-driven discovery across the network by stewarding data management, system administration, and data collaboration.
- Data Management: Design, develop, and implement a data management strategy and software to collect, process, analyze, disseminate, and archive all MarineGEO data. Develop and deploy web-based and local software applications for data integration, management, analysis, and visualization.
- System Administration: Using best practices, provide recommendations for and implement data management solutions, data standards, and data architectures needed for data acquisition, access, use, and storage. Ensure compliance with applicable data policies and standards.
- Collaboration: Work with, train, and serve as a liaison to users and partner organizations to ensure proper data entry, use, analysis, and interoperability while meeting user system requirements.
- Demonstrated expertise in computer programming and in designing, building, and using client-server, relational, object-oriented, and/or triplestore database systems and applications.
- Ability and experience in web development, web applications, web-database back- and front-end interfaces (e.g., uploading data, customized queries, data visualization).
- Knowledge and experience in standards and conventions for data management, administration, and systems life-cycle management.
- Excellent verbal, written, and scientific communication skills.
- Facility in working as part of a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary team.
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: ecology, environmental sciences, marine sciences, genetics, or taxonomy.
- Experience coding for data acquisition, manipulation, summary, and presentation using common languages and standards such as: C, Java, Python, Perl, R, HTML, XML, PHP, etc.
- Comfort working with multiple data formats, including XML, JSON, spreadsheets, video, audio, photo, and text.
- Experience working with data from biodiversity- and environment-related research fields.
- Master’s degree in computer, natural, or physical sciences, plus two years relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree in one of those fields with at least five years relevant work experience.
- Able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Passport for travel purposes.
- This is not a Federal Position, but has similar requirements and benefits.
- The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity.
- Location: Edgewater, Md. or Washington, D.C. The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses.
- Occasional travel may be necessary.
- Salary range: $54,000-80,000, commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please send a single PDF file to MarineGEO@si.edu using the subject line “Application: Data IT Coordinator” in the email. The PDF should include: a cover letter briefly stating interest and highlighting relevant experience, a CV, and a list of three references with title and contact information. The CV should include any public examples of previous software work. Application review will begin May 1 and continue until the position is filled or May 31, whichever is sooner.