Michigan State University invites applications for a motivated and innovative environmental data specialist to support and promote the mission of the sustainability portion of the Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (GLBRC) (https://www.glbrc.org/) and the Long-term Ecological Research (LTER) Program (https://lter.kbs.msu.edu/).
GLBRC sustainability research, funded by the US Department of Energy for the past 10 years, has focused on increasing our understanding of the attributes and mechanisms responsible for the environmental and economic sustainability of biofuel production systems.
Since 1988, the KBS’s LTER Program has studied the ecology of intensive field crop ecosystems and its environmental consequences as part of a National Network of LTER Sites (https://lternet.edu/network) established by the National Science Foundation.
This a full time, support staff position, located at the W. K. Kellogg Biological Station (KBS) in Hickory Corners, MI (about 65 miles SE of East Lansing and 15 miles NE of Kalamazoo). KBS is Michigan State University’s largest off-site campus and one of North America’s premier inland field stations.
You will be joining a dedicated, multidisciplinary team of researchers, technicians, and faculty in a friendly and collaborative working environment.
- Help maintain the GLBRC data catalog
- Work with researchers to develop protocols for collecting data and metadata
- Curate GLBRC data/metadata and make it available to the wider community
- Handle spatial analysis for GLBRC and LTER
- Candidates should be detail oriented and possess good verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of spatial software and databases, such as: postgis, qgis, arcinfo, postgres
- Basic familiarity with the use of scripting languages, such as Ruby, Python, R, for data processing and quality control and ETL
- Comfortable using version control systems such as git
- Basic dev-ops skills
Data Collection and Management:
- some knowledge of ecological principles and field data collection
- experience collecting, analyzing and managing field and lab data
- planning and collecting features with GPS devices
Application deadline: January 9th, 2018
For more information and to apply, see: http://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/498293/programmer-analyst